Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Approachability

One of the best ways you can get input on all aspects of your organization is to make sure people want to talk to you. This seems self evident, yet many leaders don't invite input except from superiors. You can't just say "give me your input" and expect it to happen, you have to demonstrate that you care.

What I do is make others feel respected and important. Everyone. The janitor. The receptionist. My developers. My peers. My entire network. I get to know their name and commit it to memory. I banter with them when I first see them during the day. I enjoy them as a person for a couple of minutes on every interaction.

I remember a former manager and mentor who told me that he respects anyone who does their job well, irrespective of the status of their position. If an individual takes to his or her job with pride, if s/he is the best XYZ that s/he can be, that deserves respect and admiration. That feedback stuck with me, and as I became more people oriented as my career went along, I put it into practice.

I'm sure some executives will say this is poor time management. I disagree. As an executive you will get more back from your organization by doing this. Two benefits resulting from this attitude and behavior are trust and loyalty, and it is both exponential and infectious.

No comments: